Cornwall Trip - Day 9
Pack-up and clean-up the cottage. Then walk down past the harbour for the last time to catch the bus to St Austell. The train from St Austell to Truro takes under 20 minutes, but the service is irregular, and it is a nice day, so decide to get the bus instead. In any case, Truro bus station is quite close to my hotel in the city centre, whereas the train station is a way out of the centre (see further down this blog entry). It is a double-decker bus, so sit upstairs and get a good view of the countryside and the villages we pass through (Grampound, Probus, Tresillian) as well as the strange landscape of the china clay works which loom above St Austell in a rather unsettling way.
Had my first Cornish pasty of the trip. Bought from Rowe's Bakery, I sat and ate it by the cathedral west door. It was excellent. The meat and veg were separate (which I think is how they are supposed to be), and both equally tasty, as was the pastry. Pretty good for a chain bakery product, and only £2.45 for a medium.
After returning to the hotel for a glass of wine (I got a complimentary bar voucher on check-in), I decamped for the evening (as it turned out) to the local Weatherspoon's - the Try Dowr just around the corner on Lemon Quay - for a burger and a ridiculously cheap pint of Ruddles. It is a pleasant enough place - typical Weatherspoon's, so I ended-up spending the rest of the evening there writing up my blog. Truro seems like a huge metropolis compared to Mevagissey, and there are a lot of young people here, but most of those that I have overheard talking seem to like living here, and they are all very polite.
Pack-up and clean-up the cottage. Then walk down past the harbour for the last time to catch the bus to St Austell. The train from St Austell to Truro takes under 20 minutes, but the service is irregular, and it is a nice day, so decide to get the bus instead. In any case, Truro bus station is quite close to my hotel in the city centre, whereas the train station is a way out of the centre (see further down this blog entry). It is a double-decker bus, so sit upstairs and get a good view of the countryside and the villages we pass through (Grampound, Probus, Tresillian) as well as the strange landscape of the china clay works which loom above St Austell in a rather unsettling way.
- 10:47 First Bus no. 26: Mevagissey to St Austell Bus Station - arr. 11:10 (£2.95 single)
- 11:25 First Bus no. 27: St Austell Bus Station to Truro Bus Station - arr. 12:10 (£4.45 single)
| Mannings Hotel, Truro |
It is a very short walk from the bus station to Mannings Hotel on Lemon Street. Leave my bag and go for a walk around the city. Try to find the station but get hopelessly lost. Very unusual for me, but the street plan is very confusing. I knew that the station was north and west of the city centre, and uphill, but I managed to miss it three times.
I found the station in the end (I need to get there tomorrow for my train to Falmouth), and walked back to the centre, which is actually quite charming and attractive, with a lot of fine 18th & 19th century architecture (including Mannings Hotel). There are also some remnants of Truro's past as a sea port, although these days it is only navigable at high tide.
Had my first Cornish pasty of the trip. Bought from Rowe's Bakery, I sat and ate it by the cathedral west door. It was excellent. The meat and veg were separate (which I think is how they are supposed to be), and both equally tasty, as was the pastry. Pretty good for a chain bakery product, and only £2.45 for a medium.
After returning to the hotel for a glass of wine (I got a complimentary bar voucher on check-in), I decamped for the evening (as it turned out) to the local Weatherspoon's - the Try Dowr just around the corner on Lemon Quay - for a burger and a ridiculously cheap pint of Ruddles. It is a pleasant enough place - typical Weatherspoon's, so I ended-up spending the rest of the evening there writing up my blog. Truro seems like a huge metropolis compared to Mevagissey, and there are a lot of young people here, but most of those that I have overheard talking seem to like living here, and they are all very polite.
No comments:
Post a Comment