Friday, November 18, 2011

St Austell to Mevagissey

Cornwall Trip - Day 2

Had a great "full Cornish"cooked breakfast at the White Hart, including hog's pudding.

St Austell Brewery, Hicks Bar
Walked up to the St Austell Brewery and had a coffee in the Hicks Bar on the top floor (from where you can see the sea). I asked for some water and got a glass of water from the brewery's own private spring. Had a look around the visitors display/museum, but decided not to do the guided tour and beer tasting - too early in the day for that really.

Walked back down to the town and did a bit of shopping for some basic provisions - eggs, butter, cereal, coffee, sugar etc. - just as much as I could fit in my backpack. Then back to the hotel to pick-up my bag and off to catch the bus to Mevagissey. It had turned out to be quite a pleasant hazy sunny afternoon, if a little humid.

The people I was renting the cottage from had kindly offered to get it ready well before the 4pm contractual start time, so I could get there well before sunset. Arrived in Mevagissey about 2:00pm and made my way straight to Ferryman's Cottage up above the harbour only a few minutes walk from the bus stop. After settling myself in I went back down to the village to get further provisions - milk, juice, bacon, wine etc. from the village stores, and bread from the bakery.

Steps down to Polstreath Beach
After a cup of tea back at the cottage I went back out for a bit of an explore, walking back up behind the cottage and along the coast path to Mevagissey's beach - Polstreath, which is reached from the clifftop by a steep set of 199 steps.

Evening: haddock & chips at the Harbour Tavern, then a pint at the Ship Inn, and another couple of pints at The Fountain. So, a Mevagissey pub crawl on my first night!

No comments:

Post a Comment