Saturday, September 10, 2011

More narrowboating

Off on another trip on the NB Chelonian - this time the other way across the Pennines, partly retracing the route we took last summer.

Starting at New Mills in North Derbyshire we will be cruising along both sections of the Peak Forest Canal, taking a detour down the Macclesfield Canal, and then up the Huddersfield Narrow Canal to Diggle for the 200th anniversary celebrations of the Standege Tunnel - the longest, highest, and deepest. tunnel on the British canal network. Then it is through the tunnel itself before going down the other side towards Huddersfield.

The total distance (as planned) is 55 miles, and there are 69 locks and five tunnels (including Standedge). This will all be narrow canals, with single boat locks, which I think are usually more fun than the double variety. They can be easier to operate too as the gates are smaller and there is often only one downstream (tail) gate. However, I must remember to take care not to injure my back like I did on the same stretch last year. (Actually, I didn't hurt my back this time, but did manage to whack myself in the chest as I was trying to raise the paddles on one of the tail gates of the Marple locks - still a bit sore now over two weeks later)

Travelling:
Train: London Euston - Stockport (Virgin Trains)
Train: Stockport - New Mills Newtown (Northern Rail)


View Pennine Canals II in a larger map

No comments:

Post a Comment