Getting away from it all
So, I spent nearly three weeks in Cornwall, on my own, travelling relatively leisurely between a limited number of fairly close places. How did it go?
 |
| Best moment: sea and pasty, near Towan Beach |
I had a great time. I really enjoyed being in one place for a relatively long period of time (i.e. a week). This is not something I have really done much in recent years, except the couple of times we have been away for Christmas with Graham & family. I did some fantastic coast walks, and felt good that, after some apprehension, I was able to easily do six to ten miles walking in a day, given the limited amount of daylight hours available in late November/early December (more on walks
below). I had pretty good weather much of the time, and that helped, but I had been prepared for worse, and actually didn't end-up spending much time sitting on my own in the cottage reading (which is what I thought I might do). Of the three books I took with me, I only got half way through one of them (Paul Theroux's
The Kingdom by the Sea).
Renting holiday cottages was a really good move. This time of year they are relatively cheap (£250 for the week in Mevagissey and £280 in St Mawes), you have your own space, and can cook for yourself, which really keeps the cost down. It also means that you can do a bit more to support the local communities. In Mevagissey there is an excellent bakery and a greengrocer, and I bought scallops from the stall on the quay. In St Mawes there was another really good baker (great pasties) as well as a local butcher. Having accommodation in the centre of the villages meant that I was able to make the most of these.
How did it measure-up to what I was expecting (see list in the
Cornwall - Prelude blog entry)?
- to see the sea - every day: yes, I did, every day, and it was fantastic
- relaxing on my own: surprisingly easy
- getting back into the habit of reading: read most evenings, but not a huge extent
- that smell of the seaside (from my childhood): sort of got the smell, but didn't seem so pungent - probably not the right time of year
- cosy pubs and good beer: plenty of good pubs and good beer
- walking along cliff-tops and beaches: much better than I had excpected - had some really great walks
- visiting gardens and castles: Heligan was a real highlight, as was St Mawes Castle
- not being in London: I didn't miss London at all. Everyone was polite and friendly.
Highlights:
- Sitting on the rocks near Towan Beach in glorious sunshine, watching the waves crashing in and eating a delicious pasty still warm from the oven it was baked in.
- Cooking freshly caught scallops bought from the quayside at Mevagissey.
- Beautiful sunrise over the St Anthony peninsula seen from the cottage in St Mawes.
- The Lost Gardens of Heligan.
- Real pubs with real beer, real landlords, real fires and real people (especially the Fountain Inn in Mevagissey and the Victory Inn in St Mawes).
- The 'Life on the Rocks' lighthouse exhibition in the National Maritime Museum Cornwall at Falmouth.
- Building stone towers on Polstreath Beach, Mevagissey.
- The walk around Dodman point, which I completed earlier than expected and so continued a further three miles back to Mevagissey.
- A cosy evening by the fire in the 17 century fisherman's cottage in Mevagissey.
- Sitting on the beach at Swanpool watching the tiny waves come in.
Walks
I'd not done this much walking for a very long time. I was actually unsure that I would be able to manage some of the more challenging coast paths, particularly as I had recently developed some painful corns on my little toes. So I started gradually with the two-and-a-half mile Mevagissey to Pentewan walk. That went fine, apart from the fact that I was overdressed, and had to carry my fleece and jacket most of the way. I had forgotten how hot you get when doing this kind of walk. I am pleased that I got a reasonably good rucksak, and some proper walking shoes before I came down.
Some of the walking was pretty heavy going. The paths can be quite muddy in places at this time of year. But much of the cliff-top path is OK, although often at an uncomfortable angle - something which did get to me on a number of occasions, particularly as it was usually the same slope (i.e. to the left or right) on any particular walk. But I did have some fantastic walks, thanks to the weather, which was reasonably mild for most of my stay. I did six 'main' walks ranging from 3 to 10 miles - 42 miles in total, about 30 of which were on the
South West Coast Path.
Cornwall walks map
Photo albums:
No comments:
Post a Comment