Apart from a few ferry trips from Harwich, I have not really been in this part of the country for a very long time. I had a couple of days in Southwold about fifteen years ago, and was at the University of East Anglia in Norwich for three years thirty years ago. Before that, when I was a child, we regularly visited the north Norfolk coast around Blakeney and Cley, and visited my paternal grandparents who lived in North Walsham. But that was all a very long time ago.
After the dramatic coastline of Cornwall back in November/December 2011, I thought that the big skies, marshes and long beaches of East Anglia would provide an interesting contrast in my informal and unplanned tour around the coast of our island. The trip crystalised around my idea to have my birthday in Southwold. I decided to extend that with a week on the north Norfolk coast at Blakeney, with a few days in Lowestoft, Norwich, Coltishall (on the edge of The Broads) and Cromer in between, and a day in Ipswich (which I have never visited before) and Halesworth beforehand to emphasise the south - north progress.
After the dramatic coastline of Cornwall back in November/December 2011, I thought that the big skies, marshes and long beaches of East Anglia would provide an interesting contrast in my informal and unplanned tour around the coast of our island. The trip crystalised around my idea to have my birthday in Southwold. I decided to extend that with a week on the north Norfolk coast at Blakeney, with a few days in Lowestoft, Norwich, Coltishall (on the edge of The Broads) and Cromer in between, and a day in Ipswich (which I have never visited before) and Halesworth beforehand to emphasise the south - north progress.
Here is the basic itinerary:
- 1 night Ipswich (hotel - £49)
- 1 night Halesworth (inn - £54)
- 7 nights Southwold (cottage - £370)
- 1 night Lowestoft (B&B - £40)
- 3 nights Norwich (hotel - £174)
- 2 nights Coltishall (guest house - £100)
- 1 night Cromer (hotel - £62.50)
- 7 nights Blakeney (cottage - £375)
View East Anglia 2012 - Summary in a larger map
Total accommodation 23 nights: £1,224.50 (£53.24/night)
Here are a few random expectations:
- Being by the sea again
- Great pubs in Southwold and along the North Norfolk Coast
- Big skies
- Long beach walks
- Exploring the seaside heritage at Southwold, Lowestoft, Cromer etc.
- That unique flint-based architecture
- Seals at Blakeney
- Revisiting old haunts in Norwich
- A little taste of The Broads in Coltishall
- Cromer crabs and other fish & seafood
- Spending time in "small" places
No comments:
Post a Comment