Friday, April 27, 2012

To Yorkshire

Yorkshire trip - day 1

Off on my next adventure - Yorkshire!

Got to Kings Cross with plenty of time to spare, so sat and had a coffee admiring the brand new concourse on the west side of the station.

Train: London - Leeds
Dep: London Kings Cross 12:05
Arr: Leeds 14:18
East Coast http://www.eastcoast.co.uk/
Advance First £51.45 (upgraded from advance standard £21.00, plus £10 fee)

I have been trying to keep this trip relatively low-cost, but when Dave decided to come along for the weekend in Leeds I upgraded to First class. With the         £10 change fee this nearly tripled the cost of my ticket. But I guess I can afford it. After all, I'm sharing costs on the boat, and have got pretty cheap lodgings after that in Scarborough and Whitby (average £32.55/night).

Before joining the boat, we are having a night in Leeds on our own, staying at the Holiday Inn Express Leeds City Centre - Armouries (which has to be one of the longest hotel names ever). I got a pretty good early booking deal of £38.27 for a double room for the night (including breakfast).
Overall details of the Yorkshire trip are in the earlier post.

Met at the station by Andy, who walked us to the hotel. Then had a stroll around the city and nipped into the City Art Gallery (http://www.leeds.gov.uk/artgallery) for the last hour of opening. A pretty good gallery, though oddly laid out. They do at least have some Henry Moore and Barbara Hepworth. After a quick look at the exhibition in the Henry Moore Institute, which was not very good, walked down to the river and across to the canal to check the state of the water levels. It is in the red zone at the entrance to River Lock, and the river is flowing quite fast - about 1m/s by my estimate.

As it started raining, we stopped for a drink at The Hop real ale pub (http://www.thehopleeds.co.uk/) under the railway arches. I had a pint of the Ossett Brewery - By George (http://www.ossett-brewery.co.uk/). Dave had Elgood - Cambridge Bitter.

Walked back along the towpath to Clarence Dock, where I noticed that the flood gates were closed and padlocked, which does not bode well. We could be stuck in Leeds, unable even to move the boat out of the marina.

Dinner at Mumtaz by Clarence Dock (http://www.mumtaz.co.uk/). Good food, but we ordered way too much. 

No comments:

Post a Comment