Friday, July 22, 2011

The Wedding

Today my brother John and his long-term partner Fiona got married in Topsham, East Devon.

Katy, Fiona and John outside the Bridge Inn
The ceremony took place in the old brewhouse at the Bridge Inn, a 16th century inn in a picturesque location on the banks of the River Clyst on the outskirts of the town.

John had been kind enough to ask me to be his Best Man, which I happily agreed to, although I hadn't really thought about what might be involved (other than checking that no speeches would be required). On the day I was under strict instructions from Fiona to look after John and make sure that he got to the venue on time. She also supplied a very detailed plan setting-out exactly who was supposed to do what throughout the entire day.

John arrived at the Globe Hotel (the pre-wedding base camp) around 12:30. Then there was a bit of to-ing & fro-ing around Topsham, managing various visiting guests (most of whom were congregating in the Bar at the Globe), delivering party food and catering supplies to the evening venue, getting John checked-in to his hotel etc. Eventually, John and I got to the Bridge on time. However, because it had started raining we drove there in John's car - which wasn't part of Fiona's 36-point plan. Another slight mis-reading of the plan meant that John was outside the venue when Fiona arrived with her Dad and Katy. We quickly bundled into one of rooms in the main part of the pub (it is one of those places that doesn't have a proper bar as such - just lots of little rooms & corridors and a serving area). Unfortunately, that was wrong too, as John and I were now in the room that Fiona was supposed to be in for her preliminaries with the Registrar. Fortunately, there was a set of stairs down to the brewhouse which meant that we got John to where he was supposed to be without having to go outside again (and risk bumping-into Fiona). Everything went very smoothly after that, although I did do the classic Best Man trick and shortly before the ceremony accidentally-on-purpose pretended that I had forgotten the rings. What actualy happened was that I inadvertently pulled-out a packet of cigarettes (which were in the same pocket) and then thought that the ring box had fallen on the floor, when it had actually just got stuck in the bottom of my trouser pocket.

Signing the register
The ceremony was very nice, with both John and Fiona reciting poems (John's was John Cooper Clarke's "I Wanna Be Yours" ), and a recitation by Sue of The Owl and the Pussycat. I guess that would make me the 'Piggy-wig' ('with a ring at the end of his nose'), but the funniest bit was the Registrar's feigned disdain at the bit about being married by 'the Turkey who lives on the hill'. The highlight however has to be Fiona's reaction to all the guests taking photos when they were signing the register. This was her papparazzi moment, and she couldn't quite believe that suddenly there were all these people taking photos of her. She borrowed someone's camera to try and take a photo from her point of view.

After the ceremony and the presentation of the certificate we all went outside for a glass of Pimms while they rearranged the furniture in the brewhouse and set-up the buffet. The rain had passed and it was brilliant sunshine. Absolutely perfect. Brilliant. And the cue for hundreds of photos (this is my favourite). Then more photos (family only) in the back garden.

An ample buffet followed, during which there were actually some speeches (John had been told that he couldn't really get away without making a speech, and Katy valliantly pitched-in with one of her own), toasts, and a cake-cutting - although I didn't see any of that as there were too many people in the way. I did at least get to try some of the 'orbital' fairy cakes later in the evening.

After the reception we made our way to the evening party venue at Matthews Hall in Topsham town centre. I stopped-off at the apartment to change into something more comfortable, and pick-up Dave, who had not been very well at all earlier in the day.

The entertainment for the evening was provided by the band The Loose Cannons who describe themselves as a "rather excellent 13 piece multi genre Devon based band". Basically a cover band, I thought that they were pretty good, especially on the latin-ish numbers - they do have a good brass section.

I had been told that it was my duty as Best Man to have a dance with the bridesmaid (my niece, Katy). I didn't recall agreeing to any such thing, and in any case "I don't dance" (unless very drunk), and certainly not with Katy, who has a degree in dance. However, halfway through the second set I somehow managed to get caught-up in the conga. I'd forgotten how exhausting dancing can be, and nearly got my trousers pulled down by the lady behind me, who was clearly even less fit than me (we were right at the end of the conga). I was just about to go and reclaim my seat when the band started the B52's "Love Shack". "Right", I thought. If there is one song that I am prepared to embarass myself dancing to it is probably this one. So I signalled to Katy and we returned to the dancefloor. I enjoyed it (and think Katy did too), and stayed on the dancefloor after that, right up to the last number, which was Madness's "Baggy Trousers", during which various members of the band had come down off the stage and onto the dancefloor.

I was completely exhausted, and very hot & sweaty, after all that dancing, but had a really great time.

No comments:

Post a Comment