Time for a proper walk, and the forecast is fair for most of the day. So set out on my planned walk along the Lea Navigation alongside the Olympic Park, before the towpath is closed next week.
Walked to Surrey Quays then got the Overground to Wapping. Started-off on the
Thames Path east along the river to Limehouse, then onto the Limehouse Cut and the
Lea Valley Walk all the way up the Lea Navigation past the Olympic Stadium and on to Lea Bridge.
Walk:
- 11:00am Thames Path: Wapping - Limehouse Basin 11:30am;
- 11:30am Lea Valley Walk: Limehouse Basin - Limehouse Cut - Bow Locks - Three Mills - Old Ford Lock - Hackney Marsh - Middlesex Filter Beds - Lea Bridge 1:45pm;
- 2:00pm Lea Bridge - Hackney Marsh (Old River Lea) - Eastway - Leyton - Leyton High Road - King William IV pub 4:00pm
Total distance: 11.5 miles
View
London Walks in a larger map
 |
Olympic Stadium and Orbit, from White Post Lane
Bridge, Lea Navigation, Hackney Wick |
I didn't get much of a view of the Olympic Park. A few glimpses of the stadium and the Arcelor Mittal Orbit and a fair amount of temporary buildings. The abiding impression was more of endless lengths of electrified fencing. Dotted by bored-looking security guards at the various access points that are being constructed (there are several new footbridges over the canal and into the Olympic site). The Greenway/Northern Outfall Sewer route had already been closed, so there was no real vantage point to see the stadium. The best place was near Old Ford Lock, and from the bridge a little further north. It was actually something of a relief to leave behind the electric fencing when I reached Hackney Marshes. At Old Ford Lock they were doing some filming on the canal. I was impressed by the size of the travelling boom camera which reached right across the canal (quite wide here, as it is a double lock). In fact, I mistook it for a pipe bridge (see photo
here).
 |
| 'ackney 'enge, Middlesex Filter Beds, Lea Bridge |
At the north end of Hackney Marsh are the old Middlesex Filter Beds, now a nature reserve, and incorporating 'ackney 'enge - a rather fun sculpture made from the remains of the old pump engine house. At Lea Bridge I was looking forward to a nice refreshing pint by the river at the Princess of Wales pub. Unfortunately, the pub (Young's) was closed for refurbishment, and the other pub nearby was also closed (permanently, it appeared), so I made do with an ice cream sitting in the park.
From Lea Bridge I walked back across to the filter beds and then down the east side of Hackney Marshes along the footpath that runs beside the River Lea proper. After a couple of abortive attempts to get through or around the Olympic site to Stratford I decided to give-up and walked up Eastway to Leyton and then along the High Road to the King William IV pub.
King William IV, High Road Leyton: Friendly and very relaxed traditional London pub. Next door to
Brodie's Brewery. Traditional Victorian interior with long snaking bar. Outside seating on Leyton High Road: Brodie's Amarilla (lager style 5%), London Fields (pale ale 4%), Bethnal Green (bitter 4%). I like this pub. I felt relaxed here, the beer is great, and the staff friendly and helpful.
Photo gallery:
No comments:
Post a Comment