Good weather today, if rather windy. I decided to go to Eltham Palace and do some of the Green Chain Walk (rather more than I had envisaged, as it turned-out).
The entrance into the house itself is a bit disconcerting, since they have retained the institutional layout and decor of that wing from the period when the house was used by the Royal Army Educational Corps (from the time the Coutaulds left in 1945 to 1992). It is all plain pale green partition walls and vinyl flooring. However, this only enhances the effect of entering into the wonderful 1930s Art Deco entrance hall. Designed by the Swedish designer Rolf Engströmer, the circular, wood panelled room has a spectacular glazed dome and replica 1930s rug and furniture. Interesting to note that the marquetry by the entrance door includes views of Stockholm (in particular, the City Hall) and a Viking figure (with horned helmet).
There are lots of rooms to explore, with original and/or replica decor and furniture, including the Courtauld's day rooms and bedrooms (with their en-suite bathrooms). Other parts of the building have been retained as officers' quarters. There is quite a lot to see here, and I didn't even get half-way through the audio guide (not a bad one, for a change). I think that I will have to come back again.
The route then goes through Hornfair and Charlton Parks, which are not terribly interesting, and into the wonderful Maryon Wilson Park. This starts off by descending into a small, deep wooded valley. There is an amazing microclimate here, and the drop in temperature as I walked down was really quite striking. It must have got at least five degrees cooler in a matter of minutes. At the north end of the park there is an interesting looking park farm. Must come back here to have a proper look around.
I continued on over the hill to Maryon Park and down through the Barrier gardens to the Thames Barrier. Unfortunately, the Thames Path tunnel through the barrier control building was closed, so I had to walk back around the buildings to pick-up the path on the other side and continue west to the Anchor & Hope pub by the river at Charlton, and a very welcome rest with a couple of pints of Sharp's Doom Bar.Walk: 12:25 Falconwood Station; Gravel Pit Lane; 12:45 Avery Hill Park; 13:00 New Eltham Station; 13:15 Fairy Hill Park; 13:25 Mottingham Station and The Tarn; 13:45 King John's Walk; 14:00 Eltham Palace - 15:15; 15:30 Conduit Head; Conduit Meadows; Eltham Park South; 15:55 Long Pond, Eltham Park North; Shepherdleas Wood; Oxleas Wood; 16:15 Oxleas Meadow Cafe; Jackwood; 16:35 Severndroog Castle; Eltham Common; 16:50 Woolwich Common; Hornfair Park; Charlton Park; 17:15 Maryon Wilson Park; Maryon Park; 17:35 Thames Barrier; 17:50 Anchor & Hope, Charlton. 14.2 miles
View Eltham 16/10/2012 12:23 in a larger map
Walk stats:
Total distance: 22.85 km (14.2 mi)
Total time: 5:31:49
Moving time: 3:38:13
Average speed: 4.13 km/h (2.6 mi/h)
Average moving speed: 6.28 km/h (3.9 mi/h)
Average pace: 14.52 min/km (23.4 min/mi)
Average moving pace: 9.55 min/km (15.4 min/mi)
Photo gallery:
![]() |
| Eltham |

No comments:
Post a Comment